Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Does Mr. Clean have a Mrs.?

So it occurred to me that a better name for this blog might be "Challenges Domestic," because it seems that most of the interesting things that happen to me seem to be related to the tedious tasks related to the domestic side of life. However, that would make this rather lame and tedious itself. So, instead I will maintain the current title.

That being said, have you ever cleaned a "self-cleaning" oven? It is a misnomer. There is no such thing as an oven that cleans itself. Even if you run the self-clean feature and subject yourself to the noxious fumes for 4 hours and 20 minutes, you will still be required to scrub the oven door and all the nooks and crannies around the door, which will require more elbow grease than any normal human being possesses. Well, I stopped the whole aggravating process once the darn thing became presentable, if not sparkling clean.

Of course, once I tackled the oven nothing was going to stop me from cleaning the rest of the kitchen. So I cleaned out the microwave, scrubbed the sink, wiped the counter tops, cupboards, and walls, and swept the floor. I ran out of steam before I got to the fridge....maybe tomorrow.

This whole process would not have been necessary if I hadn't managed to drop dinner in the oven yesterday after it had finished baking. It was a eggplant timbale that smelled delicious and looked rather impressive until it was dropped and splattered everywhere. This event was preceded by one almost as disastrous. My can opener needs to be replaced. I had trouble opening the can of tomatoes...lets just say there was a minor explosion.

Anyhow, things are okay for the moment. Next time I'll make my culinary goals more attainable...like PBJ.

1 comment:

  1. PBJ is Good. Not as good as riding a 29er on gravel, but still good. Of course if you have a PBJ with you on the 29er that rocks.

    ReplyDelete