Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Books, Books, and Books : )

Okay, so I haven't done this before, and I'm not big on book plugs, but I'm just going to put it out there. You don't have to read this book! But if you do, you'll learn a few interesting bits of information and will have something to talk about at all those cocktail parties you attend.

Well, actually I've read two books that I'll mention as worth reading. The first is The Candy Bombers by Andrei Cherny. It is a in depth look that the Berlin Airlift and the individual (Gail "Hal" Halverson) who started the whole candy drop process. It was a very interesting read, and unlike most historical accounts that I've read it wasn't dry and boring or over the top. I'll admit that I did get a few of the individuals confused at first, but soon was able to remember the key characters. All in all, it was a very interesting read and I feel like I learned a lot about something that is only briefly mentioned in the history books that I read in school.

The second book is Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer by James L. Swanson. This book was also very interesting and easy to read. Although one should know the outcome of the book before reading it, it still reads a bit like a suspenseful novel. This makes it an enjoyable, easy read. Again, I learned some interesting facts that might prove useful for starting conversations at all those cocktail parties that I attend. For example, Booth was surrounded by 26 men, all armed, who really didn't know how to handle the situation. Do they shoot? Do they charge? Do they send one person in on a suicide mission to take the heat for the others? (Booth was heavily armed). Well, in the end the only person who had the balls to do anything and act, actually had no balls. Literally. He castrated himself in order to avoid being tempted by fallen women. Weird, no? Well they certainly don't write that in the history textbooks.

So I am now on my search for my next book to read. I will be reading 52 Loaves for my next book club meeting, but am also looking to read another non-fiction book that is loaded with all those little jewels of information that are fun to discover. I am certainly open to suggestions, and would welcome books of any genre or topic. So like I said, I'm not big on book plugs, but I figured it was worth saying that I would recommend either of these books to somebody looking for a book to read.

2 comments:

  1. You must be related to your Weber Grandparents.
    It look. I guess I need to read the book too.

    ReplyDelete