Monday, September 7, 2009

Enough already!

So last week was very stressful, but thankfully it ended on a good note. As I wrote earlier, I had things pretty much figured out as far as work stuff goes. Well, Wednesday night I got a call asking if I would be willing to be considered for a FT long term sub job, as a growth and human development teacher until the position could be filled. I agreed that I would like to be considered. Well, the school called me Thursday to offer me the position. I told them yes, that sounded great. Two hours later I got a call from another high school in the area asking if I wanted to interview for a full time English position. Yes! So I schedule the interview for Friday, but realize I need to tell the school I agreed to sub for. So I call them to let them know. I go in Friday morning to meet with the principal and she says that she is nervous about not finding a backup sub in case I get the job (which she is sure will happen), but to let her know just in case. Well, the interview goes well, but not well enough. I don't get the job, and when I call the other school they have already found another sub. Bummer. So I am right back where I started, which is okay with me. What was the most stressful is that I had all these anxieties about how I would prepare for the school week that starts tomorrow without knowing what classes I was going to teach or having any clue about the materials. So I didn't sleep well, and then I was just nervous about the interview and such.

As I said, the weekend ended well. Kyle and I took our first step towards helping out with the youth group at church and joined them for a LOTR marathon. We watched the first two films and played a game of ultimate Frisbee in between. It was a lot of fun, but we were exhausted after our long week, so we didn't stay for the last movie. Saturday we finally bought a car for me. It's a 2007 Chevy Aveo. It looks like a toy. Anyhow, it was a good deal for us and it is really all I need. It will get me where I want to go without any crazy frills, plus it has pretty good gas mileage. So that was exciting.

Other exciting news was finding out this morning that a good friend from college is engaged. It is really exciting news, but it also just reminds me of how far away and out of touch we are with people back home. I mean, we aren't across the ocean, but it feels that way sometimes.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mal!
    Congrats on the new car--bummer about the jobs, but with your smarts and moxie, you'll get your dream job--albeit with some other not-so-dreamy ones along the way, perhaps :)

    And I empathize with the feeling of being disconnected from people back home. No wise words, it's just the reality of life--

    Love ya
    Camber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Camber,

    I have to say that I admire your gumption (this word just doesn't get used enough). I will say that there are days when I think that teaching internationally would be amazing...so who knows!

    Mal

    ReplyDelete